Re: OOPS 2.4.19-pre7-ac4 (Was: strange things in kernel 2.4.19-pre7-ac4 + preempt patch)

From: Steve Kieu (haiquy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 17:35:23 EST

> It seems like one bit error in eax. Maybe a NULL
> pointer got
> corrupted and now movzbl stumbles over it.
>
> Bad RAM? Consider memtest86 run overnight.
> --
> vda

I will but I dont have any such similar problem until
2.4.19-pre7-ac4. The box is very stable; even with
2.4.19-pre7-ac4 if I did not exit X.

ah, one more detail, actually the OOPS happened when
exiting X, not because of starting a new X server. The
other strange thing with 2.4.19-pre7-ac4 is it can not
turn off the computer if I run ` sudo halt` as a
child process of icewm, If I start a new terminal and
run sudo halt ; X goes down and if during that I
press Alt + F1 the text screen appear and it can turn
off. I think this problem related to the OOPS ;

How it is possible?
May be there is a change in the kernel setup, or
memory allocation etc..?

Regard,

=====
Steve Kieu

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!