Re: 2.4.19pre8aa3

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 07:56:42 EST

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:36:30AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 04:32:38AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:06:51PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > --- snip from linuxrc ----
> > > mount --ro -t $rootfs $rootdev /sysroot
> > > pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
> > > ------
> > >
> > > This way you can specify both the root fs and - if wanted -
> > > special mount options to the root fs. Then you pivot_root(2)
> > > to move the root fs to / and the (old) initrd to /initrd.
> >
> > both lines are completly superflous, very misleading as well. I
> > recommend to drop such two lines from all the full blown bug-aware
> > linuxrc out there (of course after you apply the ordering fix to the
> > kernel).
>
> Have you thought about reading Documentation/initrd.txt and following
> the described method? (last modified December 2000 according to the
> comments and the mtime on the file).

I didn't noticed the API changed in the docs, so my suggestion of
yesterday to remove such two lines is wrong sorry. I was only reading
the kernel code and I was using my own old debugging initrd were I could
reproduce the ext3 problem. Interestingly there's no way to guess the
new API by only reading the kernel code like I was doing.

Andrea