Re: Orinoco Wireless driver bugs in 2.5.17

From: David Gibson (hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 20:25:17 EST

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 07:24:37PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Alan,
> > Could you be more precise and point out which kernel start
> > failing ?
>
> Certainly in 2.4.18 (and I've seen a pile of other similar reports).

Ah, bugger.

> > If I remember properly my debug session with Alan (that was a
> > long while ago), the COR reset was screwing up the firmware (well, how
> > many time did I told you to not make it mandatory ?).
>
> Long time ago -its been behaving well until fairly recently
>
> > Alan has an old Compaq card (the Intersil PrismII variety, not
> > the new Lucent one) and his firmware is probably not very fresh.
>
> Oldish firmware definitely. The newer driver finds the card registers
> it but fails on all tx/rx and reports no signal and noise of
> 130/150 or so (as opposed to db). Flipping back to the older kernel it
> works happily.

The signal/noise bit is probably a red herring. We have problems with
the reporting of this, but it's mostly cosmetic. I seem to have
confusing and contradictory information about how to interpret the
values the firmware reports.

> Any specific info/debug/traces that would help ?

Specific error messages on Tx/Rx and also the firmware version as
reported on module load would be very helpful.

david@gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson