Re: [Linux-usb-users] Re: What to do with all of the USB UHCI drivers

From: Stephen J. Gowdy (gowdy@slac.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 10:13:58 EST

I don't have a problem with the new names. Users shouldn't care, and when
they do they want to report problems. It would help to know what they are
actually talking about without need to remember which kernel the rename
happened in (and that distributions may backport the changes to earlier
kernels would only complicate this more).

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Gunther Mayer wrote:

> Peter Wächtler wrote:
>
> > Martin Dalecki wrote:
> > > Uz.ytkownik Greg KH napisa?:

> > > Thank's that is explaining it.
> > > But I would have loved it if it appeared with + in front in
> > > the patch somewhere. That's the only true problem I had.
> > > OK?
> > >
> > > BTW.> usb-ohci seems to be a more reasonable name, since
> > > it tells me directly - hey buddy I'm USB the -hcd doen't
> > > tell me anything in addition and is entierly redundant, or
> > > is there a ohci.o module there?
> > >
> > > And why not just doing the following.
> > >
> > > 1. Rename usb-ohci to usb-ohci-old
> > >
> > > 2. Rename ohci-hcd to usb-ohci
> > >
> > > Much less grief and guessing what happens :-).
>
> Second this (in fact "first this").
> Elegant solution which would not only habe prevented this thread
> but help developers and users no end.
>

> > > Just a suggestion.
> > >

> > You do not understand the _cause_ for the rename.
>
> Martin and me understand what hcd means, and we think
> it is non-untuitive and user-hostile.
>

> > hcd stands for Host Controller Device. The names mark them as that.
> > Now you can argue, that all the SCSI controller modules do not have
> > HBC (host bus controller) in their name - and then look at the
> > different naming of the other scsi modules:
> >
> > scsi_mod.o sd_mod.o sg.o sr_mod.o st.o
> >
> > Also not very intuitiv. We could put them in different subdirs...
>
> Obviously you cannot balance between intuitive and user-friendly.

|Stephen J. Gowdy                     | SLAC, MailStop 34,       |
|http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~gowdy/ | 2575 Sand Hill Road,     |
|http://calendar.yahoo.com/gowdy      | Menlo Park CA 94025, USA |
|EMail: gowdy@slac.stanford.edu       | Tel: +1 650 926 3144     |