Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages

From: Hilbert Barelds (hilbert@hjb-design.com)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 17:06:03 EST

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 17:19, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Since I installed the 2.4.19-pre8 kernel on my Athlon 1,3 GHz machine.
> > The machine wont halt and poweroff any more it just reboots.
> > Systemhardware
> > AMD Irongate chipset
> > NVidia 2MX (nvidia drivers 2880)
>
> The Nvidia drivers are not supported by the open source community.

I know, I have seen this before in the list.

> Firstly please boot without the Nvidia drivers getting loaded at all. If the
> problem still occurs check you built both the old and new kernel with the
> same APM options.

I did quite a lot of reboots. I could reproduce it in the pre4 kernel.
My last try at the kernels. When I coppied the pre8 .config in the pre4
tree, and remade the kernel I got the same problem.

So after quite a bit of fiddeling I blame it on a non fully functional
ACPI so I switched back to the APM and the shutdown -h is functioning as
it should.

Attached are the configuration files of the 2.4.18-pr4 kernel with a
working and with a diff to the not working kernel (working meaning yes
or no powerdown).

I can not find anything that indicates a possibility.
I switched back to APM and it is working. with nvidia drivers and 4front
drivers.

Reason for switching to 2.4.19-pre8 is stability, I had random freezes.
I did not have them again in this series.

Hilbert