Re: Does pci_alloc_consisent really need to zero memory?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 05:54:07 EST

   From: Emmanuel Michon <emmanuel_michon@realmagic.fr>
   Date: 30 May 2002 13:05:26 +0200

   "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

> I'd rather see a patch to DMA-mapping.txt that specifies the memory
> returned is zeroed out, as this is what every implementation appears
> to do.

   What was the idea when writing the code that zeroes memory? It seems
   so useless.

Because 9 out of 10 drivers where I had to change virt_to_bus
into the portable pci_alloc_consistent were using get_free_pages()
which zeros things out for you.

I do actually remember that many of those instances in fact did
depend on the memory being zero'd for them, they weren't using the
"zero the pages too" variant instead of __get_free_pages()
gratuitously.