Re: INTEL 845G Chipset IDE Quandry

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 03:59:14 EST

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Of year 2010 - remember learning proper C will take him time.
> Becouse I never ever saw any code contributed by him
> despite the fact that I'm still open for patches, as
> I have told him upon request.
> Once exception was a broken patch which even didn't
> compile and couldn't solve the problem it was
> proclaiming to solve.

There is a difference. I can pay a code monkey to write clean code.
Can you pay somebody to make the driver work?
Obviously you still can not read state diagrams even after I invited you
to IRC and walked you through the documents and explaining how there are
different events described in each. I then explain the difference of how
there are two ways to enter each one.

Then you tell me you have a grand idea for a unified interrupt handler,
which guesses what the operation to be completed by reading the command
register. But it is only command on a write, it is status on a read,
since an interrupt happened the command opcode is gone. NICE.

Then you toss out the next one. Gee, I can stall device interrupts to the
interface if a toggle the eIEN line on and off. Now where you planning to
do this between DMA interrupts if you had more than one PRD? I never
dreamed of such a brilliant idea, but you forgot one thing. NO touching
the taskfile registers until you stop DMAing. Either abort the
transaction of deadlock the interface.

Now I will go learn proper C, and you have all the time you need to try
get the data-transport layer right.

As for that patch I sent you, it works but you did not try. See after I
sent it to you on a short test compile, I ran tests on it the next day.

Lastly, I started to make a new one, but since there is no way to
determine what the entry mode of the driver upon command block execution.

Regards ...

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group