Re: SMB filesystem

From: David D. Hagood (wowbagger@sktc.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 06:34:26 EST

Dan Kegel wrote:

> I've been hoping somebody would take this on.
> Question: how will you carry the SMB token around?

How about using much the same approach that SSH uses - have a daemon
that is launched from the user's .profile, that listens on an Unix
domain socket created in the user's home directory and tracks the login
tokens?

Additionally, that daemon could allow another user space program to
listen to a socket, and be notified when a request for a non-existant
token is made - this way when a user is running a GUI, the GUI could
have a program that can pop up a prompt for the login, and then pass it
on to the daemon, and then the daemon can inform the process that made
the request to try again.

I do agree with some of the other posters, though - it seems to me the
best approach would be a plug-in for autofs that used SMBFS.