Re: [RFC] iput() cleanup (was Re: [patch 12/16] fix race between writeback and unlink)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 14:55:01 EST

On 3 Jun 2002, Chris Mason wrote:

> I'm talking a very limited set of operations followed by calling the
> generic functions. I might not do it at all if I can't get them safe
> when called under the spin lock.

Ok, that should be reasonably "portable" (ie it won't break horribly and
silently in the future when something changes in inode-land). Just doing a
few ops (knowing you're under the inode lock) and then calling
"generic_drop_inode()" should be fine.

[ Except right now only the "generic_delete_inode()" thing is exported, so
  you'd need to export the other generic stuff, but that was kind of my
  plan anyway, I just don't wan tto do it until there is some real need. ]

                Linus