Re: realtime scheduling problems with 2.4 linux kernel >= 2.4.10

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 15:13:27 EST

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 13:08, Andrew Morton wrote:

> keventd is a "process context bottom half handler". It's designed
> for use by interrupt handlers for handing off awkward, occasional
> things which need process context. For example, device hotplugging,
> which was the original reason for its introduction.
>
> So it makes sense to give keventd SCHED_RR policy and maximum
> priority. Which should fix this problem as well, yes?

Next to ditching keventd, this is probably the best thing we can do.

I wonder how much code _really_ needs it - that is, what really needs to
be running in process-context? Obviously device hotplug probably does.
But for things like that, what about spawning (temporarily) a kernel
thread?

        Robert Love