Re: If you want kbuild 2.5, tell Linus

From: Martin.Knoblauch (Martin.Knoblauch@teraport.de)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 02:04:00 EST

>>"KEITH, I'LL MERGE KBUILD 2.5"
>>

>>but he must have some reason. Perhaps I don't understand it because I
>>haven't to make happy to such mass of people ;)
>

>Linus is doing things in his style. He has chosen a trusted lieutenant
>(Kai) who is not a committed "true believer". Kai will work through
>kbuild 2.5 and feed it to Linus in small batches. Keith will (should)
>work with Kai. Thus a delegation and filtering step so Linus doesn't
>have to understand every aspect of the change. Kai has done it before
>(ISDN code) and Linus trusts him.
>

>Management 101...

 Basically correct with two "but"s. It seems that Linus has only very
recently stated that Kai should do the work. And apparently he did not
tell Keith very clearly how to to proceed. Also, from the qouted link:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102304528224527&w=2

it is not clear to me whether this will lead to kbuild-2.5 "(or whatever
subset of them you find appropriate)". So I have some sympathy for Keith
for being impatient and worried about "his" project. Maybe things would
calm down if Kai could state his intentions and timetable?

 While delegation of authorithy is of course Managment 101, lack of clear
communication is probably in the same book - high on the "NONO" and
"popular reasons for failure" lists. (Have some experience on that. From
both sides :-(

 And the whole community is still eagerly waiting for the timetable (as
someone else already pointed out). I don't really care how it is done, as
long as it is done at all and we get the 2.5 benefits before 2010 (no,
that was for IDE :-).

Martin

Martin Knoblauch         |    email:  Martin.Knoblauch@TeraPort.de
TeraPort GmbH            |    Phone:  +49-89-510857-309
C+ITS                    |    Fax:    +49-89-510857-111
http://www.teraport.de   |    Mobile: +49-170-4904759