Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, release 3.0 is available

From: Arnd Bergmann (arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 08:59:07 EST

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 06:53, Keith Owens wrote:

> kbuild-2.5-common-2.5.20-2.

I still have a link order problem in -common-2.5.20-[12] that I noticed
after I eventually tried to run my kbuild-2.5 kernel.

The initialization code in arch/i386/pci needs the pci_bus_type object
from drivers/pci/pci-driver.c to be registered. Both is called at
subsys_initcall level, but in kbuild-2.5 the arch specific parts are
run first. The symtom is a 'BUG in device.h:75' from get_bus() early in
bootup.

The brute force workaround for this problem is to put
link_subdir(drivers/pci) before link_subdir(arch/$ARCH) in the top level
Makefile.in.

I could not find out from the kbuild-2.4 files how or why it works there, but
I don't think relying on the link order here is a good idea anyway, so it
would best be fixed in the pci code itself.

Arnd <><