Re: Loosing packets with Dlink DFE-580TX and SMC 9462TX

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 23:05:33 EST

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 nick@snowman.net wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2002, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > running at gigabit speed. The original testing was done using
> > 100Mbit hubs, so my guess would be that the 83820 chips (and/or
> > driver) doesn't handle collisions too well (which I don't have a
> > problem with, as afaik GE is always switched).
> There are at least some gigabit ethernet hubs on the market. How badly
> does it handle collisions?

Huh?
Packet Engines used to sell FDRs -- "Full Duplex Repeaters", but (as the
name implies) FDRs were not collision based. I don't know of any Gb
Ethernet collision-based repeaters.

Any collision-based operations will take place at 10 or 100Mbps. Anyone
still using a repeater obviously doesn't need performance.

> > 0.17, but some more testing showed that the ns83820 actually works
> > just fine during this test when using just crossover cables and

You might compare against my ns820.c driver. (Note: It was initially
released before the ns83820.c driver was written, although the ns83820.c
driver was the one put into the kernel.)

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993