Re: [2.5.19] Oops during PCI scan on Alpha

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 15:56:44 EST

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:42:41PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Patrick Mochel <mochel@osdl.org>
> Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
>

> > There's this middle area between core and subsys, why not
> > just be explicit about it's existence?
> >
> > Short of making the true dependencies describable, I think my
> > postcore_initcall solution is fine.
>
> What sense is there in naming it postcore_initcall? What does it tell you
> about the intent of the function?
>
> It says "this has to be initialized, but after core initcalls because
> it expects core to be setup." That's what "postcore" means. :-)
>
> The initcall levels are not a means to bypass true dependency resolution.
> They're an alternative means to solving some of the dependency problems
> without having a ton of #ifdefs and hardcoded, explicit calls to
> initialization routines.
>
> I added no ifdefs, what are you talking about.

I think the ifdefs referred to any of the more complex, but also
arguably more correct ideas (ie things which actually do real
dependancies). Or maybe hard-coding the corner cases and keeping the
current solution.

> You people are blowing this shit WAY out of proportion. Just fix the
> bug now and reinplement the initcall hierarchy in a seperate changeset
> so people can actually get work done in the 2.5.x tree while you do
> that ok?

heh. Or implement some sort of proper dependancies to it all as well.
:)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/