Re: [patch] i386 "General Options" - begone [take 2]

From: Brad Hards (bhards@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 20:34:23 EST

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 06:59, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> > > "Power management options (ACPI, APM)", which also includes
> >
> > software suspend.
> >
> > > "Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)"
> > > "Executable file formats"
>
> Brad,
>
> This is a tough one because ACPI *is* power management but it is also
> configuration. It is equivalent to such things as MPS table parsing, $PIR
> parsing, PNPBIOS, as well as APM. The first two don't have CONFIG_ options
> at the moment but they should at some point.
>
> The only thing I can think of is a "Platform interface options" menu and
> just throw all of the above in that. Any other ideas?
"Platform interface" is fairly true, but so was "general options". Neither of
them is an obvious description of the functionality.

One idea that comes to mind is putting the power management config options in
a "Power Management" section, then PNPBIOS in with the other PnP stuff, and
so on (read: don't know were to put MPS yet, and don't know what $PIR is :) I
understand that this means breaking up the ACPI config file, but that
shouldn't be too hard.

The general concept is that [c,C]onfig.in should be functionality based, not
implementation based. ACPI parsing isn't a function, it supports a whole
range of functions, which are quite different to the user.

Brad

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.