Re: [2.5.19/20] KDE panel (kicker) not starting up

From: Melchior FRANZ (a8603365@unet.univie.ac.at)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 15:41:12 EST

* bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl -- Tuesday 04 June 2002 07:14:20:
> * On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Adam Trilling wrote:
> > Make sure you have read and write perms on your home directory. I had
> > that happen due to a misplaced chown -R once.
> >
> > This is not a kernel question, however, and probably shouldn't be on this
> > list.
>
> Everythink works using 2.5.17. So I think this *is* a kernel question.

I don't have the slightest doubt that it is a kernel bug: I observed the
same with the /dev/hdc device (the CDROM). Playing Audio-CD's doesn't work
since 2.5.19. It worked for years now with the same permissions, and giving
more liberal rights doesn't help either. It always returns with EACCES!

  open("/dev/cdrom", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
  ioctl(3, CDROMVOLREAD, 0xbffff1f8) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
  ioctl(3, CDROMSUBCHNL, 0xbffff1fc) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

It works, however, for root! Could this be some broken capability
settings?

m.

PS: Sorry if this message creates a new thread. I'm not subscribed to
    the list and read it via usenet-mirror.