Re: [RFC] 4KB stack + irq stack for x86

From: Steve Lord (lord@sgi.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 17:15:23 EST

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 21:55, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> Hey folks,
>

> I had been playing with 2.5KB stacks (4KB page minus 1.5K for task_struct),
> and it is possible given a few fixes for massive (>1KB) stack allocation
> in the pci layer and a few others. So far 4KB hasn't overflowed on any
> of the tasks I normally run (checked using a stack overflow checker that
> follows).

Ben,

Just what are the tasks you normally run - and how many code
paths do you think there are out there which you do not run. XFS
might get a bit stack hungry in places, we try to keep it down,
but when you get into file system land things can stack up quickly:

        NFS server -> file system -> block layer -> device driver

With possibly some form of volume management out there too.

I am pounding away on xfs with your code in there including the
checker, and so far it is surviving. But I only have a plain old
scsi drive underneath, and no NFS on top.

Steve

--

Steve Lord voice: +1-651-683-3511 Principal Engineer, Filesystem Software email: lord@sgi.com - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/