Re: [RFC] 4KB stack + irq stack for x86

From: Ulrich Weigand (Ulrich.Weigand@de.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 14:24:32 EST

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

>> Of course, the situation is particularly bad on s390, because every
>> function call needs at least 96 bytes on the stack (due to the register
>> save areas required by our ABI).
>
>How is this different from sparc64?

Well, I guess it's similar on sparc. I'm not sure about the size of the
save areas needed on sparc, though. In any case both sparc and s390 are
certainly much worse w.r.t. stack space usage than i386 ...

(*Really* ugly is s390x, because we need about twice as much stack on
average than on s390, but page size is still only 4K -- most other 64-bit
platforms have 8K page size ...)

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  Linux for S/390 Design & Development