Re: 2.4.19pre10aa1

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 21:08:39 EST

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 06:58:59PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > Only in 2.4.19pre10aa1: 90_ext3-commit-interval-1
> >
> > Avoid laptops to waste energy despite kupdate interval is set
> > to 2 hours with ext3. kjournald has no right to choose
> > "how frequently" we should look for old transactions, that's
> > an user problem. journaling doesn't enforce how much old data
> > we can lose after a 'reboot -f', it only enforces that the
> > metadata or even the data will be coherent after an hard reboot.
>
> Yes, that'll work OK. It's a wild implementation though. Why not
> just add
>
> int bdflush_min(void)
> {
> return bdf_prm.b_un.interval;
> }
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(bdflush_min);

well, that's not bdflush_min, that would be better called
bdflush_interval like I did in my patch, the bdflush_min is confusing
with the min values for the bdf_prm. btw, my way is actually some cycle
faster than the above, I don't like very much gratuiotus wasted cycles
with no gain in design. It's just the c++ cycle-wasteful mania that
everything is a method and that data sturctures have to be hidden and
not to be seen. But here I don't see any real gain to hide the
internals, such a data structure is basically known even from userspace.

> to fs/buffer.c?
>
> (You forgot to export bdf_prm, btw).

to export to modules, right, I don't use it as module so I didn't
noticed. Oh well, it's too late now to update. I will upload a new one
tomorrow if I find the time or it will wait one week.

thanks for noticing,

Andrea