Re: Tyan S2464 (K7 SMP) + EMU10K1 hardlocks

From: Adam Trilling (agt10@columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 12:37:38 EST

I can't even find info on this mobo. Every hit Google returned was a link
to a thread on lkml :) Does it have a VIA chipset by any chance?

There is a known lonstanding incompatibility between the SoundBlaster
Live! series and the VIA VT82C686B southbridge. You can fix it by messing
with your BIOS, but I wasn't brave enough to try that. You can get more
info from www.viahardware.com I think (it won't load properly on this
computer so I can't give an exact link).

adam

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Chris Fuller wrote:

> I've established by now that the problem is definitely not with the
> Linux kernel, but there was a discussion here about this very issue last
> August, and I haven't found a reference to it anywhere else, so please
> help if you can. :)
>
> I'm seeing hardlocks in various 2.4 kernels (10, 18, 19-pre8, all SMP):
> mobo=Tyan S2464 (K7 Thunderbird) SMP
> NVidia GeForce4 AGP
> SBLive! Platinum 5.1
> Two 40G IDE hard drives
>
> I can reproduce at will (Unreal Tournament aggrivates it), but it can
> happen at any time. It even locked up in the BIOS Setup(!) at one
> point. Last August, Eric S. Raymond started these threads which seem to
> be the same problem:
> Hang problem on Tyan K7 Thunder resolved -- SB Live! heads-up
> S2464 (K7 Thunder) hangs -- some lessons learned
>
> First trying the things I usually try to regain system stability, then
> based on what I learned from the above threads, I have found that even
> doing *all* of the following does not correct the issue for me:
> nosmp or pulled 2nd CPU
> ide=nodma
> disableapic or noapic
> apm=off
> additional cooling
> memory swap
> video card swap, both pci and agp, both 3dfx and nvidia
> "Use PCI Interrupt Entries in MP Table" -> "yes"
> No emu10k1 driver at all
>
> Yanking the sound card completely out of the machine makes the hardlock
> go away, but the card works flawlessly in my Abit K7 system.
>
> Am I forgetting to try something?
>
> Does anybody have any further advice on this?
>
> Does anyone know if it's the motherboard or the card that's actually
> doing something wrong, so I can know whom to yell at and/or avoid in the
> future?
>
> crf
> -

Adam Trilling
agt10@columbia.edu

char m[9999],*n[99],*r=m,*p=m+5000,**s=n,d,c;main(){for(read(0,r,4000);c=*r;