Re: Tyan S2464 (K7 SMP) + EMU10K1 hardlocks

From: Andre Bonin (kernel@bonin.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 14:16:24 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 18:44, Andre Bonin wrote:
>
>>Creative Labs warns that it's sblive series of cards aren't compatible
>>with SMP systems. Though i've had the S2460 motherboard and the only
>>trouble i have had was that EAX didn't work properly. A friend of mine
>>has an sblive with a dual celeron and he also has had this problem of
>>deadlocks with the SBLive. The audigy however is fully compatible.
>

> On Linux at least I've never had a problem with the SB Live since the
> SMP bugs in earlier 2.4 trees got fixed (and they were kernel bugs). I
> can well believe the SB emulation magic doesn't work with old games in
> SMP mode but we don't drive it in any emulation mode nor need to

It may be that there software, livewear, is buggy on SMP systems. Again
it's cryptic, they do not state if it is the board or only the driver.

Like i said, i've been running windowsXP/linux2.5.20 on a dual athlon
motherboard (Tyan S2460 before it busted, now i have an Asus A7M-266)
and both worked fine. My friend's dual celeron didn't take the sblive
too nicley.

It could also be a power supply issue. Maby the sound card is the drop
that spills the glass.

I found

http://www.americas.creative.com/support/kbase/article.asp?ID=473&Centric=108