Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 19:13:35 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

> You guys we have SNMP statistics for these events, there
> is no reason to have them per-socket. You cannot convince
> me that when you are diagnosing a problem the SNMP stats
> are not enough to show you if the packets are being dropped.

So, I will not attempt to convince you that you need per-socket
counters. I do know for absolute certain that I would like to
have them (I write a traffic-generation & testing program).

For instance, when I run 50Mbps bi-directional on a P-4 1.6Ghz machine,
using a single port of a DFE-570tx NIC, then I drop around .2% of
the packets, in bursts. I have kernel buffers very large (2MB),
and the CPU is not maxed out.

With the current system, it is difficult for me to know exactly what
I need to change to get better performance and/or if better performance
is even possible.

> If not, this means we need to add more SNMP events, that is
> all it means.

If you're talking per-socket SNMP counters, then that could work.
General protocol-wide counters would not help much, at least
in my case.

Thanks,
Ben

--