Re: kernel serial debugging question

From: Frank Schaefer (frank.schafer@setuza.cz)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 00:37:02 EST

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 01:18, Stephane Charette wrote:
> My question:
> ------------
>
> Has any of this changed with the 2.4.x kernel? I'm currently playing
> with 2.4.19-pre9. Is there a "serial debugger" patch that has to be
> applied first, or is this support normally built-in?

I've set up kernel remote debugging for 2.4.18 not so far ago. The
procedure is the same as for the 2.2.* series. You should simply use the
patch for the kernel version you use.

> The reason I ask is because I don't see the option "Kernel support for
> GDB", which leads me to think that maybe this functionality actually
> came from a patch that was applied on top of 2.2.14.
>
> While I'm at it: is there a "better", or perhaps a "more popular"
> method of debugging the kernel?

On my development machine I've set up one kernel with the kgdb internal
debugger, one kernel with the gdb-patch and one unpatched kernel with
the usual debugging stuff enabled ( all kernels of the same version - of
course ). Which kernel to run depends on the kind of problem to solve,
and is IMHO more a question of personal taste.

Regards
Frank