PROBLEM: Kernel Panic 2.4.18-6mdk after ATAPI Reset on reading bad CD-RW (repeatable)

From: Lyall Pearce (lyallp@bigpond.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 05:53:35 EST

I am not sure where to send this message and am hoping you can assist.

Problem description.

I have a CD-RW80 which contains a 650mb part of a zip archive which I
was attempting to restore.
(so much for backups :( )

When attempting to read a CD-RW (700mb) in my Sony CRX1611 IDE based CD
Rewriter.
The CD-RW has a problem reading - I have no problems with this (other
than being annoyed), but when I use the following

dd conv=3Dnoerror if=3D/mnt/cdrom/Images.z01 or=3D~/images/Images.z01

dd reports lots of errors - this too is ok (since I figure I could
'bypass the missing section in the unpack'), until eventually the ATAPI
interface apparently resets.
Then the kernel thows a panic in the exception handler.

Initially it was simply hanging my X session - I tried doing the copy at
'init 2' level and this was when I noticed the panic.

I am able to reproduce this error at will - albeit a 5 minute turn
around time till the CD read gets to the 640mb mark where the problem
occurrs.

I do not know how to do a screen capture or where to find the panic
information - which I will gladly supply upon request, once I have been
given instructions on where to find it.

Feel free to talk technical - I am a C/Unix programmer of many years but
have had nothing to do with the kernel short of re-building it.

Mandrake 8.2 Standard Kernel version 2.4.18

Linux version 2.4.18-6mdk (quintela@bi.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version
2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.2 2.96-0.76mdk)) #1 Fri Mar 15 02:59:08
CET 2002

Find attached a Mandrake HardDrake Report file of the hardware
configuration.

...Lyall