Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

From: Lincoln Dale (ltd@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 07:03:25 EST

At 09:34 PM 9/06/2002 -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
>Every argument I hear is one out of lazyness. And that is not a
>reason to add something. Simply put, I don't want to add all of this
>per-socket counter bumping that only, at best, 1 tenth of 1 percent
>of people will use. This means that the rest of the world eats the
>overhead just for this small group that actually uses it.

would you be willing to accept a patch that enables per-socket accounting
with a CONFIG_ option?

to my mind, i can see a number of perfectly valid scenarios.
one is for streaming-media applications which could use retransmissions as
an indication to buffer more data and/or switch to a different bitrate.

another is for a http proxy which has multiple outgoing interfaces which
are multihomed via different providers (and some via simplex satellite).
retransmissions woud be a nice metric to use for determining the weightings
between using different interfaces.

cheers,

lincoln.