NFS Client mis-behaviour?

From: Simon Matthews (simon@paxonet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 22:48:22 EST

I have seen some strange behaviour from the NFS client.

We installed a new machine, 2 x 2.2GHz Xeon processors, based on the Intel
E75000 chipset. Ethernet interface is an on-board Intel 8255x based.
Kernel is 2.4.18 with the 3.5GB VM patch installed.

When running a large job on this machine, the job would start and after a
short time, the CPU utilization would drop and the large job would clearly
hang. Also, "df" would hang and any attempts to list the directory that
contained the data would hang. Eventually, after about 10-15 minutes, it
would go back to normal (until the large job was started again).

Clearly the NFS client was unable to access the data directory.

Solution: the Ethernet interface was connected to a switch that only
supports half-duplex connecting to a full-duplex switch solved the
problem. However, it does seem that the NFS client was not handling the
situation well.

Another question: this system has 2 CPUs, yet the kernel detects 4. Any
ideas why?

Simon