Re: Proposed changes to generic blk tag for use in SCSI (1/3)

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 00:50:14 EST

On Mon, Jun 10 2002, James Bottomley wrote:
> The attached is what I needed in the generic block layer to get the SCSI
> subsystem using it for Tag Command Queueing.
>
> The changes are basically
>
> 1) I need a function to find the tagged request given the queue and the tag,
> which I've added as a function in the block layer

Ehm it's already there, one could argue that it's pretty core
functionality for this type of stuff :-). It's called
blk_queue_get_tag(q, tag), and it's in blkdev.h. However, I agree that
we should just move it into ll_rw_blk.c. That gets better documented as
well. Could you redo that part?

> 2) The SCSI queue will stall if it gets an untagged request in the stream, so
> once tagged queueing is enabled, all commands (including SPECIALS) must be
> tagged. I altered the check in blk_queue_start_tag to permit this.

I completely agree with this, blk_queue_start_tag() should not need to
know about these things so just checking if the request is already
marked tagged is fine with me. But please make that a warning, like

        if (rq->flags & REQ_QUEUED) {
                printk("blk_queue_start_tag: rq already tagged\n");
                return 1;
        }

Also, you need to fix drivers/ide/tcq.c to make sure it doesn't call
blk_queue_start_tag() for non REQ_CMD requests. Ah wait, I'll just
change that. And also _please_ fix the comment about REQ_CMD and not
just the code, it's doesn't stand anymore.

> This is part of a set of three patches which provide a sample implementation
> of a SCSI driver using the generic TCQ code.

Cool! Looking forward to reviewing it later today.

--
Jens Axboe