computer reboots before "Uncompressing Linux..." with 2.5.19-xfs

From: xsdg (xsdg@openprojects.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:22:29 EST

Hola...
I'm trying to get kernel 2.5.19-xfs working on one of my boxes... The box is
a P200-MMX, currently running 2.5.7-xfs and using grub as the bootloader. Each
time I try to boot the kernel, grub tells me...

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernels/19.5.2k-xfs single
 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x134aff]

Then, after a small pause, the box reboots (note: it does _not_ print
"Uncompressing Linux..."). I have tried the following:
1) Compile the kernel, optimized for P-MMX, on another box (PII-350 Deschutes)
   using gcc 2.95.4
2) Recompile bzImage
3) Recompile bzImage
4) Remove framebuffer support. Remove vid mode selection support. Optimize
   for Pentium-Classic. Recompile with everything else the same
5) Recompile on target box (gcc 2.95.4 also) with options the same as after #4

All of my boxes are running Debian SID (not necessarily up-to-date). I asked a
number of times in #kernelnewbies on OPN, to no avail. Any and all
help would be greatly appreciated. (Please CC me in replies)

        --xsdg

--
| It's not the fall that kills you, it's the        |