Re: 2.5.21: kbuild changes broke filenames with commas

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:27:10 EST

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

> So what? Users want filenames with ',' in them, the build system
> should cope with it. Restricting what the user is allowed to do to
> what the build system can handle is the wrong approach. The build
> system already has to replace '-' with '_', changing comma as well is
> not a problem. Or are you going to say that '-' is not allowed in
> filenames either?

It's a stupid discussion - I added support for filenames containing a ',',
but the only remaining user is 53c7,8xx.c. That one is broken by the BIO
changes anyway, and I heard people say it should go away, as the
hardware is supported by other drivers. So I'll wait and see, if it
doesn't get fixed but removed, I think removing the hacks to support ','
in the filename is the way to go.

> >Now, what if we had:
> >
> > foo,bar.c
> >
> > and
> >
> > foo_bar.c
> >
> > in the same directory? The kbuild system goes wrong, destroying dependency
> > information, using the wrong KBUILD_BASENAME. Oops. I guess we papered
> > over a bug by allowing commas in filenames.
>
> Not in kbuild 2.5. I handle this case correctly for the -MD dependency
> filename. Try it and see.

Well, let me rephrase it as "foo,bar.c" and "foo:bar.c" ;). kbuild-2.5
would break. Of course it's fixable with even more workarounds, but that's
not the point.

> OBJECTNAME is externally visible, it is used in Rusty's rationalization
> of boot and module parameters. The only time that OBJECTNAME collision
> would be a problem is when there are two modules called foo,bar and
> foo_bar. Having two modules that differ by a single character in the
> middle of the name is going to cause more problems than just option
> collision. BTW, the existing build system does not support
> KBUILD_OBJECTNAME so Rusty's code cannot go in.

Rusty knows that the current build system can support KBUILD_OBJECT (which
is what you called it, not KBUILD_OBJECTNAME) just fine - it's a three
line diff, but I don't see a point in submitting it as long as nobody uses
it.

--Kai