Re: [vortex] Re: MTU discovery

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:57:13 EST

Donald Becker wrote:
> A 16 bit register.. 64KB packets. There are various issues with using
> large packet sizes. There is no driver that has been verified with
> jumbo frames. I have been throwing driver versions at Rishi Srivatsavai
> <rishis at CLEMSON.EDU> trying to sort out the issues. You might notice
> the changes in 0.99W, although they don't handle the FIFO limit issues.

With the VLAN stuff that suddenly appeared, I did some large packet
testing... I would typically cap the MTU limit at just under the FIFO
size, since it often requires special handling doing frames > FIFO size.

I do not look forward to re-verifying the 2.4 tulip driver across all
those chipsets, to make sure my large packet code [which is not yet in
the kernel] works. :)

        Jeff