Re: linux 2.4.19-preX IDE bugs

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 15:30:10 EST

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> The hardware changed and the interrupt parser feature that stablized the
> old chipsets under SMP is gone. The new chipsets (20268 and above) do not
> have a location with sticky bits. So in some cases I expect things to go
> south, but in general they should not. Otherwise promise would be all
> over the issue.

  Okay, thanks, that clarifies it, and if I read it right this may be a
permanent restriction. If the system is running noapic so the ints all go
to CPU0 does that help the situation? In a sane system I agree with Alan
that this is not a performance hit, or at least not significant.

> > On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Then I suggest you give up computing, because PC hardware doesnt make
> > > your grade. BTW the general open promise bugs *dont* include data
> > > corruption so I suspect it may be your h/w thats hosed.

> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group

Guys, I wasn't questioning anyone's competence, just agreeing with the
original poster that if this is going to be an ongoing issue of stability
it might be held back for a version until there is time to either program
around it or characterize the conditions under which it causes problems.
And if that means that I can't trust it SMP, I don't think I'm a bad guy
to suggest the config drop the driver if SMP support is selected.

I don't mind moving a card to another system, and even if I didn't have
another system I would rather not take that particular risk. And if it
won't work reliably SMP then perhaps Promise should be taking some action.
There are SMP W2k machines out there, too.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc