RE: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.4.18 Promise driver (IDE) hangs @ boot with Promise 20267

From: Braden McGrath (bwm3@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 23:42:45 EST

[old message snipped]

> I don't WANT to use the HPT366 anymore, but there
> is NO way to disable it on my motherboard. Part of me
> wonders if it is causing a problem, but I don't see any
> resources being shared...

I've confirmed that my problem in the Promise driver is NOT related to
the HPT366 device. I swapped the promise card (And the drives attached
to it) to another board, and it hung at the same step in the boot
process - right after finding the drive(s) on the system chipset's
controller, where it should then begin finding stuff on the Promise...
but it can't.

At this point I guess I'm down to waiting. I don't want to be stuck
using it with the generic driver and thus getting hideous performance.
I've done everything that I know how to do; I'm not much of a coder
(especially not C). If I thought I could fix it myself I'd try. :)

Hopefully someone becomes my savior before I start looking to *BSD for
an answer... I really don't want to lose all of the data on these drives
(XFS & LVM aren't supported anywhere else) and I have no easy way to
back them up. That's the biggest thing keeping me on linux at the
moment.

I'll wait patiently now, I know that gurus musn't be pestered. ;)

--Braden