Re: driver documentation

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 06:03:52 EST

Użytkownik Gabor Kerenyi napisał:
> Hi!
>
> I have written a driver for a PCI card (produced by the company I work
> for) and it's working well. Now I should write a documentation, but
> I have never done such kind of low level tasks in a PC enviroment.
> I know what design docs and other docs are needed for a normal
> program (C, C++) but I have no idea how I could write a doc
> for a driver.
>
> Is there any template there? I bet you also had to write documentations
> if you work for a company.
>
> Can anybody give some advice? Of course I would like to write it
> using Linux, so please don't mention M$ only sws! (bad news that
> my boss would like to view it on M$ :(((( )
>
> (ps. I don't like flowcharts...)

Since I assume that the request is about documenting the
internals of the driver, I recommend that you look at
the javadoc similar embedded documentation mechanism found in
recent linux kernels. Just type in make doc on the top level
and see. Well if you are looking at what to put in there:
Just please look after the corresponding comments throughout
the kernel.