Re: linux 2.4.19-preX IDE bugs

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 15:39:22 EST

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:28:13 +0400, Nick Evgeniev wrote:
>Are you using it in SMP config?
>
>> >Agreed. But all what I see is that STABLE Linux kernel DOESN'T has
>working
>> >driver for promise controller (including latest ac patches) for SEVERAL
>> >MONTHS.
>>
>> I don't know what your problem with the Promise driver is, but
>> my experience is the opposite. I have never had any problems with
>> the 2.4 (or 2.2 + Andre's IDE patch) pdc202xx driver and my
>> Ultra100 (20267) card, which sits in a 24/7 News server and

No, UP (ASUS 440BX board).

Instead of blasting out "the driver doesn't work, remove it!" when
it obviously does work in many cases, you should investigate
(perhaps through a poll on LKML) which configurations work and
which ones do not. That may provide enough clues to identify and
hopefully fix the problem.

/Mikael