Re: 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 12:53:37 EST

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:47:20AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2002, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> >
> > cs: cb_alloc(bus 1): vendor 0x13d1, device 0xab02
> > Scanning bus 01
> > Found 01:00 [13d1/ab02] 000200 00
>
> Ok, it found a regular PCI network card (000200) with a regular header
> (00), and it will have read all the resources but not _allocated_ them
> yet.
>
> > PCI: Calling quirk c01d5650 for 01:00.0
> > Fixups for bus 01
> > PCI: Scanning for ghost devices on bus 1
> > Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
> > Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
> > Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
> > Bus scan for 01 returning with max=01
> > PCI: Device 01:00.0 not available because of resource collisions
>
> And here it calls it unavailable, because it notices that the device has
> resources, but they haven't been allocated, so it assumes that lack of
> allocation is due to some resource conflict.
>
> However, it _looks_ like the lack of resource allocation is simply because
> we never bothered to even try to allocate them.
>
> Pat, your change to use "pci_do_scan_bus()" seems to have dropped the:
>
> /* FIXME: Do we need to enable the expansion ROM? */
> for (r = 0; r < 7; r++) {
> struct resource *res = dev->resource + r;
> if (res->flags)
> pci_assign_resource(dev, r);
> }
>
> thing completely, which is the thing that actually _allocates_ and assigns
> the resources.

Could this be what has bitten us with new Intel IDE controllers on
latest 2.5? They also were disabled due to 'resource collisions', and
had some i/o not allocated at all - just size was nonzero. It was fixed
in the quirks code by clearing the size fields, because the i/o space
isn't needed ...

> Peter, mind adding that resource allocation loop to the "cb_alloc()"
> function, inside the "list_for_each(node,&bus->devices) {" loop? Just
> before the "Does this function have an interrupt at all?" line..
>
> Alternatively, maybe that resource allocation might just be done in
> "pci_enable_device()". It does kind of make sense at that point, instead
> of just giving up due to unallocated resources..
>
> Linus
>
> -

Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs