Re: VIA KT266 PCI-related crashes fixed. Now whats the catch?

From: Denis Vlasenko (vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 05:10:11 EST

On 19 June 2002 02:13, Jonathan A. Davis wrote:
> G'day Alan, all,
>
> In November, I assembled a new machine using a Soyo Dragon+ mb with a
> Pinnacle PCTV/Pro card as the only add-in board (I have an ATI 7500 in the
> AGP slot). Very quickly I learned that any heavy disk activity (from two
> UDMA100 drives) during TV card use would lock the system tight. As long
> as I didn't use the TV card, the system was completely solid -- under
> heavy disk, sound, net usage, etc. I tried moving the card around,
> playing with BIOS, upgrading BIOS, with no success. I dug around in
> quirks.c and put a serious dent in google's usage reports trying to find
> answers. About the time I was concluding that I had a defective mb, a
> friend decided to install Linux on his KT266 system also. After the
> install, we popped a PCTV (non-PRO minus FM radio) into it and ended up
> duplicating my machines's crashing behaviour.
>
> About a month ago, after giving up and either avoiding TV card use (which
> given the state of US TV isn't a completely bad thing :-), or resigning
> myself to not doing serious work if I had the TV card on, I stumbled
> across Serguei Miridonov's site (http://www.cicese.mx/~mirsev/Linux/VIA/).
> His small module changes PCI config register 0x75 from 0x01 to 0x07 and
> clears all the bits on 0x76 (originally set to 0x10 on my mb). The result
> has been perfect stability for both boards with TV cards and as much disk
> and other I/O as bonnie and friends could generate.

[75:7]=Arbitration Mode 0=REQ-based 1=Frame-based
(75:6)=CPU Latency Timer read only
(75:5)=(same as above)
(75:4)=(same as above)
[75:3]=(Reserved)
[75:2]=PCI Master Bus Time-Out 000=Disable
[75:1]=001=1x32 PCICLKs 010=2x32 PCICLKs
[75:0]=011=3x32 PCICLKs ... 111=7x32 PCICLKs

You increased busmaster timeout sevenfold here.

[76:7]=I/O Port 22 Enable
[76:6]=(Reserved)
[76:5]=Master Priority Rotation 0x=every PCI master grant
[76:4]=10=after every 2 PCI 11=after every 3 PCI
[76:3]=REQn# to REQ4# Mapping 00=REQ4# 01=REQ0#
[76:2]=10=REQ1# 11=REQ2#
[76:1]=(Reserved)
[76:0]=REQ4# Is High Priority 0=disable 1=enable

Heh... doc says 0x00 and 0x10 are the same for reg 0x76...
did you test with 0x76 unchanged?

I have a PDF also, need to reboot into WinNT to look at it...
KDE's PDF viewer can't grok it.

--
vda