IRQ problem on ALI M15x3 chipset with TI 1130 CardBus

From: Jonathan Thorpe (thorpe@linuxmail.org)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 04:01:36 EST

Greetings,

I recently received an older Texas Instruments (Now Acer) Extensa 900CD Notebook PC (p133/32Mb RAM) and whilst Linux runs well on it in general, there appears to be issues with anything that requires the use of an PCI IRQ. I am having the most trouble with the PCMCIA/CardBus controller which needs IRQs for CardBus devices (16-bit PCMCIA are uneffected since they don't need PCI IRQ).

The notebook uses the ALI M1521 [Aladdin III] host bridge and the ALI M1523 ISA bridge along with the Texas unstruments PCI1130 CardBus/PCMCIA bridge (which I'd really like to get working). The only device that appears to get an IRQ on this computer is the IDE controller which is a CMD PCI0643 with IRQ14.

I enabled the debugging option for PCI hardware which has produced some results (attached).

The other hardware works fine, but the TI1130 cardbus is most critical (I have some USB hardware that I'd like to use with my NEC-based USB 2.0 controller on the CardBus host). I recently had Windows 98 installed on this computer and had the CardBus working fine. From this, I managed to get some logs about what hardware resources were used which are also attached.

I've been in contact with David Hinds, the developer of PCMCIA-CS, and he claims that this is a Kernel IRQ issue.

If anyone has any idea (based on the attached logs) of how I might be able to resolve this issue, your input would be greatly appreciated.

The logs are taken from the computer running Kernel 2.4.19-pre10 and 2.4.19-pre8, both with exactly the same results.

Thanks,
Jonathan