Re: McVoy's Clusters (was Re: latest linus-2.5 BK broken)

From: Timothy D. Witham (wookie@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 15:42:55 EST

Another point is that I've seen large multi-user machines that roll
a 32 bi pid in less than 1/2 hour. So not only is it a large
number of process but also a very dynamic process environment.

Tim

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 10:10, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:41:45AM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> > For large multi-processor systems, it isn't clear that those matter
> > much. On single user systems I've tried , ps -ax | wc -l usually
> > gives some number 50 < n < 100. For a multi-user general purpose
> > system, my guess would be something under 50 system processes plus
> > 50 per user. So for a dozen to 20 users on a departmental server,
> > under 1000. A server for a big application, like database or web,
> > would have fewer users and more threads, but still only a few 100
> > or at most, say 2000.
>
> Certain unnameable databases like to have 2K processes at minimum and
> see task counts soar even higher under significant loads.
>
> Also, the scholastic departmental servers I've seen in action generally
> host 300+ users with something less than 50/logged in user and something
> more than 50 for the baseline. For the school-wide one I used hosting
> 10K+ (40K+?) users generally only between 500 and 2500 (where the non-rare
> maximum was around 1500) are logged in simultaneously, and the task/user
> count was more like 5-10, with a number of them (most?) riding at 2 or 3
> (shell + MUA or shell + 2 tasks for rlogin to elsewhere). The uncertainty
> with respect to number of accounts is due to no userlists being visible.
>
> I can try to contact some of the users or administrators if better
> numbers are needed, though it may not work as I've long since graduated.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
> -

Timothy D. Witham - Lab Director - wookie@osdlab.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
15275 SW Koll Parkway - Suite H - Beaverton OR, 97006
(503)-626-2455 x11 (office)    (503)-702-2871     (cell)
(503)-626-2436     (fax)