Re: [patch] (resend) credentials for 2.5.23

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 14:17:04 EST

On Friday 21 June 2002 20:52, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:12:59PM +0200, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > Making the credentials a monolithic block like you appear to be
> > doing just doesn't make sense. If you look at the way things like
> > fsuid/fsgid/groups[] are used, you will see that almost all those that
> > filesystems that care are making their own private copies.
>
> I'm not looking at things from the filesystem's point of view, so
> much as for threads and aio, where rlimits and identificantion needs
> to be shared between contexts.

Fair enough, however by hard coding a lot of new pointers and links everywhere
you are making the task unnecessarily more difficult for the person who
*does* want to look at the filesystem point of view. Please could you at
least hide the details of the location of all these elements in
macros/inlined functions.

IOW: if you could write something like

   x = current_fsuid();
   set_current_euid(y);

instead of

   x = current->cred->fsuid;
  current->cred->euid = y;

then this would make a later transition to current->cred->ucred a lot easier.
In addition, it might also make it possible to share future code with 2.4.x
via a set of compatibility routines.

Cheers,
    Trond