Re: Tyan 2460/Dual Athlon MP hangs

From: Ken Witherow (ken@krwtech.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 14:33:39 EST

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 02:55:18PM -0400, Ken Witherow wrote:
> > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> > Random hangs occur on dual athlon system
>
> The 2460 systems (and many other dual athlon systems) are very sensitive
> to temperature.

seems to happen regardless of temperature. In fact, it most frequenly
happens under no load. After doing some compiling, the current
temperatures read CPU0: 131F/55C, CPU1: 136F/58C, MB: 122F/50C. At idle,
they're normally in the 114/45, 120/48, 110/43 range respectively.
Currenly at about 70 minutes of uptime with the longest being about 36
hours.

> > [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> > Sometimes the system hangs during boot, sometimes at the console and
> > other times while I'm in X. Happens whether or not I use the mem=nopentium
> > and noapic options. Frequently, I can't catch the OOPS because I'm in X
> > and everything freezes.
>
> Can it happen during boot, if you let the system cool down for an hour
> before powering it on ?

I'll have to try letting it cool the next time it happens to see if that
is indeed the cause.

> Also be sure that the PSU is big enough.

PSU is an Antec PP-412X 400 watt.

--
 Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com> ICQ: 21840670
         KRW Technologies http://www.krwtech.com