Re: Tyan 2460/Dual Athlon MP hangs

From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 11:11:33 EST

* Ken Witherow <phantoml@rochester.rr.com> [2002-Jun-30 10:55 AKDT]:
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> Random hangs occur on dual athlon system

I'll agree with previous comments about cooling, video card issues,
and adequate power supplies. But you may also want to consider the
quality of the power feeding into your machine. I had random halts,
shutdowns and even catastrophic failuers of Tyan dual AMD boards until
I put the systems on a good line conditioner. I'm convinced that
the problems all centered around under voltages from the wall, and
now that I've got true conditioned power, the systems run perfectly.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu