Re: Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite Mk 2 USB Problems with 2.4.18.

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cantab.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 12:19:53 EST

At 12:02 01/07/02, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>Does anyone here have a USB Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite Mk 2 keyboard?

I have two of the Mk2 and one of the Mk1 keyboards and none of them exhibit
the problems you have (using 3 different systems with kernels both
2.4.18-pre7-ac2+ide+other stuff, 2.4.18-pre3+ide+other stuff and
2.5.24+ntfs-2.0.13). The difference being I am using the full HID drivers
(I tried both) and never the cutdown usbkbd driver. (I have many other usb
devices including my mouse, digital camera, webcam, etc, so can't use usbkbd.)

So as other people have suggested, use the full hid driver and be happy. (-:

Best regards,

         Anton

>On connecting to my 2.4.18 Linux system I find that it works great,
>except that certain triples of keys produce four characters instead of
>three when typed in rapid succession. This happens under XFree86 and
>also at a tty. For example, typing `swa' rapidly produces `swaw'.
>
>Further investigation revealed that only certain combination of keys
>exhibit the problem. More examples are
>
> keys produces
> rty rtty
> yui yuui
> tyu tyuy
> swa swaw
> jhg jhgh
>
>But other won't show the problem, e.g. `zxc', `asd', and `qwe'.
>
>My theory is that usbkbd.o doesn't cope with ErrorRollover which is
>being generated, unlike hid.o which didn't used to but does now.
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.2/1022.html
>
>Diffing 2.4.18's usbkbd.c against 2.5.7 suggests the problem still
>exists in 2.5.7.
>
>I'd like to know that others can re-produce the problem.
>
>Cheers,
>

>Ralph.
>
>-

   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cantab.net> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS Maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net