Re: PROBLEM: 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 bug in page_alloc.c:131

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@ucw.cz)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 21:18:55 EST

Hi!

> Maybe I got it the wrong way, but it seems to me that from your point of
> view, as long as proprietary driver is in use, it's not anyone else
> problem but to the vendor, even if the bug could happen to be in the
> kernel, is that right? If so, everyone else in this list who could try
> to fix this (again assuming it could be something related to the kernel
> and not to the proprietary driver) necessarily share your oppinion? (I'm
> not flaming in here, just trying to get the path).
>
> This has to do with facts, not opinions. Since we lack the source to
> their drivers, we have no idea if some bug in their driver is
> scribbling over (ie. corrupting) memory. It is therefore an unknown
> which makes it a waste of time for us to pursue the bug report.

Actually, then you should taint kernel for starting X, too... Anything
running with root priviledges can scribble over memory.
                                                                        Pavel
PS: Not that I'm advocating nvidia junk, and of course it is way
easier to cause corruption from kernel.

--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa