Re: [OKS] Module removal

From: Ryan Anderson (ryan@michonline.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 17:56:34 EST

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Diego Calleja wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> escribió:
>
> > Having read some notes on the Ottawa Kernel Summit, I'd like to offer
> > some comments on points raied.
> >
> > The suggestion was made that kernel module removal be depreciated or
> > removed. I'd like to note that there are two common uses for this
> > capability, and the problems addressed by module removal should be
> > kept in mind. These are in addition to the PCMCIA issue raised.
>
> And why people wants to remove this nice feature? Only because they
> don't use it, or there's a more profund reason?

Summary from listening to the mp3: It has issues with races that were
only made worse by preempt.

The alternative solution proposed (I forget who mentioned this, though.)
was to allow loading a second module on top of the first.

Those who spoke at the summit will probably want to have the "300 email flame war"
here before this spirals too far. :)

--
Ryan Anderson
  sometimes Pug Majere