Re: allocate memory in userspace (Answer)

From: Timo Benk (t_benk@web.de)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 05:24:42 EST

As stated by Andy Kleen this is not a good solution.
This is his post to the topic:

----<snip>----
> I am a kernel newbie and i am writing a module. I
> need to allocate some memory in userspace because
> i want to access syscalls like open(), lstat() etc.
> I need to call these methods in the kernel, and in
> my special case there is no other way, but i
> do not want to reimplement all the syscalls.
>
> I read that it should be possible, but i cannot
> find any example or recipe on how to do it.

mm_segment_t oldfs = get_fs();
set_fs(KERNEL_DS);
ret = sys_yoursyscall(kernelargs ...)
set_fs(oldfs);

Do not even think about using mmap or accessing sys_call_table for this.
Your other post was so tasteless that it would be good if you retracted
it with a followup because it would be very bad to have such an bad
example
in the l-k archives open to innocent search machine users uncommented.

-Andi
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in

--
gpg key fingerprint = 6832 C8EC D823 4059 0CD1  6FBF 9383 7DBD 109E 98DC