O(1) scheduler vs 2.4.19-rc1 (question).

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 10:33:36 EST

I'm finally getting around to playing with the O(1) scheduler (well I found a
way to break something that this might help), and I'm a bit confused as to
what to apply to get the newest version running on 2.4.19-rc1:

In http://people.redhat.com/mingo/O(1)-scheduler/ there live a number of
files, the most interesting of which for my purposes appear to be:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/O(1)-scheduler/sched-O1-2.4.18-pre8-K3.patch
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/O(1)-scheduler/sched-2.4.19-pre10-ac2-A4
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/O(1)-scheduler/sched-2.4.19-pre10-ac2-B3

Questions:

1) The 2.4.18-pre8 patch is from February 7th. Is that really the latest one
for straight 2.4? If nobody's found even a typo in the thing for almost five
months, can we expect it in 2.4.20-pre1?

2) Do the -ac patches bring the 2.4-mt O(1) up to the level that's in the -ac
tree, or are they against the -ac tree itself? I'd happily run the -ac tree
except it doesn't HAVE stable releases, it has "it compiled" releases which
do tend to be fairly stable but don't have nice clustering points where
enough people are running that particular variant that they can tell you what
the inevitable bugs actually are...

3) Is any of the stuff in ingo's directory actually the latest version? I
know he wrote it, but I've watched about five other people patch it (Robert
Love, etc.), and I didn't keep close track at the time but I'm fairly certain
it was more recent than February.

4) What's with the version numbers? I don't THINK the "B3" patch backlevels
K3 in a more recent -ac version, especially since "B3" is dated july and "K3"
is dated february... I seem to have missed a curve somewhere...

5) Huh?

Thanks,

Rob