timer queue is still influenced by network load

From: Xinwen - Fu (xinwenfu@cs.tamu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 18:54:47 EST

Richard,
        I did a few experiments using the example (jiq, I changed jiffies
to do_gettimeofday() ) from Linux Device
Driver, 2nd version (p196).

        I have two machines m1 and m2. On m1, I run a timer queue (jiq)
module. Then I download a big file from m1 to m2. The timings are
different between before ftp and during ftp.

before ftp
time pid cpu command
   420590 1 0 0 swapper
   430580 1 0 0 swapper
   440579 1 0 0 swapper
   450579 1 0 0 swapper
   460579 1 0 0 swapper
   470579 1 0 0 swapper
   480579 1 0 0 swapper
   490579 1 0 0 swapper
   500579 1 0 0 swapper

during ftp
time pid cpu command
   370605 1524 0 in.ftpd
   380645 0 0 swapper
   390583 0 0 swapper
   400667 0 0 swapper
   410703 1524 0 in.ftpd
   420679 0 0 swapper
   430634 0 0 swapper
   440624 0 0 swapper
   450648 0 0 swapper

It shows that
timer queue is still not accurate. So
the conclusion of " you're guaranteed that the queue will run at the next
clock tick, thus eliminating latency caused by system load" is WRONG!!!

        What is your opinion?

Xinwen Fu