Re: IBM Desktar disk problem?

From: Tomas Konir (moje@molly.vabo.cz)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 09:48:28 EST

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > hi i have similar problem.
> > No dead disks, but after two days testing tcq patches (on 2.4). I
> > got the two ATA errors (smartctl said).
> > I think that it's no good to test tcq on IBM disks. My disk was without
> > any problems one year. Two problems now is not normal.
>
> I find this hard to believe (why would using a different set of
> read/write commands show problems?!), and so far the evidence is far
> from conclusive. I'll be watching it, though.

If it helps I'll send you complete Log error structure from smartct.

Error Log Structure 1:
DCR FR SC SN CL SH D/H CR Timestamp
 00 08 80 ee 88 a2 e0 cc 1210341
 00 08 08 ee 88 a2 e0 a2 1210341
 00 08 87 04 1d 20 e0 cc 1210341
 00 00 00 04 1d 20 e0 00 1210341
 00 00 80 06 42 67 e1 c8 1210341
 00 84 00 85 42 67 e1 51 0
Error condition: 0 Error State: 3

Error Log Structure 2:
DCR FR SC SN CL SH D/H CR Timestamp
 00 80 00 3e 66 23 e1 c7 1386233
 00 80 08 3e 66 23 e0 a2 1386233
 00 80 30 be 66 23 e1 c7 1386233
 00 80 80 be 66 23 e1 c4 1386233
 00 08 08 26 32 a4 e0 cc 1386237
 00 84 00 2d 32 a4 e0 51 0
Error condition: 0 Error State: 3

> > For final i think, that tcq patch is not fully stable, becouse on high
> > disk load i get oops and have to reboot. I have no problem when i remove
> > tcq patches.
> > (high load i mean copy cca 20GiB between two IBM disks).
>
> Any reason you haven't reported this?! Please do so.

sorry but this oops was only on screen and i were no time for log this
to the paper. After second error i removed tcq from my kernel.
(I have no money for new disk now).

        MOJE

--
Tomas Konir