Re: [2.4 patch] remove obsolete disk statistics header from /proc/partitions

From: Thomas Tonino (ttonino@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 10:34:03 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Marcelos' BK repository (that will become 2.4.19-rc2) includes a patch to
> remove these statistics completely from /proc/partitions...

I certainly hope they move elsewhere; totally removing these is bad news
for anyone running a server that does disk I/O.

If the bugginess of part of the data is a problem, remove that data for
the time being. I can also imagine people feel it is bloated (blocks and
KB/sec), and maybe it should be reorganized to move elsewhere.

But measurement is important - the saying here is "meten is weten" - and
should not be removed from the kernel.

As for correcting: I can imagine a really dirty fix decrementing the
number of running requests once a second, on top of the fix in 2.5 that
prevents the number from going negative. The extra decrement makes disk
performance appear about 1% higher than it should: not a big falsification.

Thomas