Re: IBM Desktar disk problem?

From: Voluspa (voluspa@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 13:01:13 EST

At 2002-07-05 15:23:39 Daniel Egger <degger@fhm.edu> wrote:

> I've yet to see a <insert your favourite non-IBM harddrive manufacturer
> here>-drive dying after a few months of use

How about a 20 gig Seagate Barracuda ATA II Model ST320420A dying after 1.5 months, and the replacement disk - same model - after 5 months. The supplier blamed my IDE controller (old standard
Intel Corp. 82371FB PIIX IDE [Triton I]: chipset revision 2) and refused to replace the second dud.

The 15 gig IBM-DTLA-307015 has worked flawlessly in the same system for a year. Have yet to try TCQ though. Waiting for a "stable" and modern 2.4

Regards,
Mats Johannesson